USS Blue Ridge back in the water

first_imgBack to overview,Home naval-today USS Blue Ridge back in the water View post tag: USS Blue Ridge February 16, 2016 Share this article View post tag: US 7th Fleetcenter_img Authorities USS Blue Ridge back in the water U.S. Navy’s 7th Fleet flagship USS Blue Ridge (LCC 19) departed Commander, Fleet Activities Yokosuka, Japan to conduct sea trials after spending six months dry-docked in the harbor.During sea trials, Blue Ridge will execute a series of exercises, testing every aspect of the ship and crew, from full power runs and boilers flexes to seamanship training including man overboard and abandon ship drills.Blue Ridge spent the last six months in selected restricted availability (SRA), making repairs and improvements throughout the ship, ranging from major systems upgrades in information systems department and engineering department to habitability upgrades.Blue Ridge Operations Officer, Lt. Daniel Kohlbeck: “Sea trials is an opportunity to test the crew in all areas of the ship. We just spent the last six months tied to the pier for renovations and repairs and now, we need to switch our mindset to being at sea.”“Sea trials will give us the opportunity to adjust to the high-tempo daily routine that being underway demands.”Blue Ridge chief engineer, Lt. Cmdr. Stephen Hartley, added: “Sea trials is our opportunity to fully test the ship in a safe environment. Throughout dock trials and since the light off assessment, the engineers are already fully engaged and ready to deploy. We will be doing a full power run to check that all of our systems work in tandem.”“The crew’s focus will be key in determining if there are any outstanding issues that need to be addressed prior to our deployment in support of 7th Fleet operations.”Blue Ridge, a U.S. Navy command ship which has been commissioned in November 1970, has been forward deployed to Yokosuka, Japan, for 36 years.[mappress mapid=”17708″]last_img read more

Hammers: Stadium move not state aid

first_imgWest Ham are confident that the deal to move into the Olympic Stadium does not contravene domestic or European legislation and “categorically” stated that it does not constitute state aid. “It is clear that the linking of the naming rights to West Ham United generates real cash value for the LLDC. “Without West Ham United, the Stadium would continue to cost the taxpayer millions of pounds a year. “With us, the public purse will see a return on the hundreds of millions of pounds that were committed to build the Stadium, long before West Ham’s association had begun.” West Ham’s statement was echoed by the LLDC, who highlighted the Olympic Stadium’s multi-use future. “Our position has always been absolutely clear the arrangements for the Stadium at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park do not constitute state aid,” a LLDC spokesperson said. “The Stadium will remain in public ownership after it has been transformed into a multi-use arena and has two concessionaires UK Athletics and West Ham United. “This autumn it will host five matches of Rugby World Cup 2015, a Rugby League international and, in 2017 the IAAF World Athletics Championships and IPC World Athletics Championships. “We have appointed an operator whose role is to programme other events in the Stadium including concerts and conferences, alongside the sport. “We formed our position after taking specialist advice and it was shared with the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills and the Department for Culture, Media and Sport before we completed the open competitive process to find the main concessionaire and before we entered into contract with West Ham United.” The report suggests the failure of London Mayor Boris Johnson and the London Legacy Development Corporation to obtain prior approval from the European Commission before signing the deal opens up the possibility of challenges from anyone who feels disadvantaged. That could leave West Ham facing a large compensation bill, but the club defended their position in a lengthy statement about the Olympic Stadium deal. A West Ham spokesman said: “West Ham United is confident that its agreement with the LLDC complies with all relevant UK and European legislation and categorically does not constitute state aid. “Indeed, the European Commission looked into a complaint in relation to our move to Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in 2013 but ‘decided not to further pursue’ the matter. “The club was selected as anchor concessionaire following a fair, transparent and robust process that was open to any group or organisation in the country. “Out of the four proposals submitted, West Ham’s was selected as it delivered a sustainable and viable future for the Stadium and, crucially, provided the best return for the taxpayer. “The agreement with the LLDC will see West Ham make a substantial capital contribution towards the conversion works of a Stadium that it may only rent for up to 25 matchdays a year, pay a multimillion pound annual usage fee, as well as offering a share of food and catering sales from its supporters. “The worldwide draw of hosting the most popular and watched football league in the world in such an iconic venue will add value to any sponsorship and commercial agreements related to the Stadium, which the public purse stands to further benefit from. The Premier League club are set to move into the London 2012 showpiece venue for the start of 2016-17 season, but the journey there has been a tortuous one, fraught with controversy. Fresh questions were raised about the award of the 99-year lease to West Ham on Tuesday, when it was suggested the deal may contravene European state aid law. Press Associationlast_img read more

Fast reactions: 3 quick takeaways from Syracuse’s 85-80 season-ending loss

first_img Published on March 18, 2017 at 1:05 pm Contact Connor: [email protected] | @connorgrossman The clock finally ran out on Syracuse’s season. SU couldn’t finish off a final one in the second round of the National Invitation Tournament. The Orange (19-15, 10-8 Atlantic Coast) fell to No. 5 Ole Miss (22-13), 85-80, to end its season.Here are three immediate reactions from the game.Crunch timeAfter a season marked by late-game dramatics, Syracuse tried to stitch together a final epic ending in the Carrier Dome. Freshman guard Tyus Battle buried a pull-up jumper to draw SU within three points and about 40 seconds to go on the clock. But there would be no more heroics left to write in this year’s script. Sophomore forward Tyler Lydon clanked a last-ditch 3-pointer and Syracuse didn’t try to foul in the final seconds of the game.One of the more memorable seasons in recent years came to an end in the Carrier Dome, where the Orange finished the year with a 17-4 record.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textLost and foundSyracuse has faced plenty of deficits this season. Most of them double-digits, and a surprising number of them overcome. SU’s lifeline has been the 3-pointer through most of those comebacks. But in a game with plenty of lead changes, the Orange turned in one of its worst shooting performances of the season from behind the arc. Syracuse started out 0-for-9 before sophomore guard Frank Howard finally relieved his teammates after nearly 14 minutes of play. But SU never quite found its 3-point stroke, converting only 8-of-30 attempts and keeping a close game throughout with Ole Miss.The Rebels stayed afloat by making 15-of-32 of its 3-pointers, including three straight to start the second half and take the lead on a 9-0 run. Syracuse missed a pair of 3s in that time, none more boggling than Andrew White missing his fifth of the game on a wide-open look. Even head coach Jim Boeheim landed both hands on his head after White’s attempt rimmed out.The fifth-year senior entered the game as a 40 percent shooter from deep, but didn’t come alive until the game’s final minutes. As SU’s season hung in the balance, he hit three consecutive 3s to keep the Orange in the game. White, Lydon and Battle — SU’s best sharpshooters — finished the game 7-for-26 collectively.Double downOne of the greatest puzzles this season has been Lydon’s disappearing act on offense. A player clearly capable of stretching the floor or attacking from inside, he’s endured plenty of halves this season with little to no offensive production. At times he’ll be too passive, at times he just can’t find his stroke. Saturday looked like it would be the latter for the sophomore, but he persisted with an aggressive approach he’s lacked at times to finish with 15 points and 14 rebounds. It was his ninth double-double of the season.He began the game by converting on only one of his first five attempts to the basket, but responded by making his next five straight. That stretch began with a layup through traffic and finished with a 3 to help fuel a 12-0 first-half run. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Forrest Pontious, Jr., Argonia: January 26, 1928 – Oct. 21, 2013

first_imgForrest PontiousForrest K. Pontious, Jr., of Argonia, died Monday, October 21, 2013, at Harry Hynes Memorial Hospice – St. Francis in Wichita, at the age of 85.  He was well known as a teacher, a coach, and an avid sportsman.  He was the much loved patriarch of a large family tree.  He was a dear friend to many.Forrest was born the son of Forrest K. Pontious and Helen May (Womeldorff) on January 26, 1928, in Savonburg, Kansas.  Growing up in the small towns of Southeastern he learned to love fishing and hunting, baseball and basketball.  Upon graduating from Desoto (Kansas) High School in 1945, he volunteered for the U.S. Navy at the age of 17, and served through the end of World War II.  Upon his return, he entered college, first at Pittsburg State College (Pittsburg, Kansas), then on to Baker University (Baldwin, Kansas).  While at Baker, he married Alverna Lea Hume in Desoto, on June 19, 1948.  Together they raised five children and shared 59 years of marriage.After graduating from Baker in 1950, he began his teaching and coaching career with assignments at several Northeastern Kansas high schools.  In the summer of 1956, he and his family moved to Argonia, where he taught and coached for a total of 36 years.  He was serving in the role of high school principal at the time of his retirement in 1988, continuing as Girls’ Basketball Coach for another 4 years.  During his coaching tenure at Argonia High School, he led the Red Raiders to innumerable conference championships, and he brought home the Boys 1-A State Basketball championship trophy in 1969.  He loved children, and he loved coaching and teaching them.  He positively impacted hundreds of young people’s lives.Survivors include his sons, Steve Pontious and wife Kay of Katy, Texas; Rick Pontious and wife Tammy of Milan, Kansas; Dave Pontious and wife Brenda of Traverse City, Michigan; his daughter Jana Baker and husband Rick of Lee’s Summit, Missouri; his sister Joan Cole and husband Ben of Bristol, Tennessee; 15 grandchildren, 18 great-grandchildren, 2 great-great grandchildren, 1 niece and 2 nephews.  He was preceded in death by his parents, his wife Alverna, and his son Mike Pontious.His surviving family and friends will miss him greatly.  However, his children are very happy knowing he has gone to be with Mom, and that they are living in a place where the Red Raiders, the Jayhawks, and the Yankees win all their games, and where the fish never stop biting.Visitation will be held at the Day Funeral Home in Wellington, Kansas from 1:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., Thursday, October 24, 2013, with family members present from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.Funeral services for Forrest will be held at 10:30 a.m., Friday October 25, 2013, at the Argonia United Methodist Church, 307 North Main, Argonia, Kansas.  Interment will follow at the Argonia Cemetery.Memorials are being established in his loving memory with Harry Hynes Memorial Hospice, 313 South Market, Wichita, and also for the Forrest and Alverna Pontious – Argonia High School Memorial Fund.  Contributions should be left at or mailed to Day Funeral Home and Crematory.To share a memory or leave condolences, please visit are by Day Funeral Home and Crematory, Wellington, Kansas.last_img read more